Physical Activity Basics
Regular physical activity is one of the most important things for your health. Here are some tips to help you get started.
- Choose an activity you enjoy
- Choose an activity that works for your life and is something you like to do.
- By choosing an activity you enjoy, you will be more likely to continue participation.
Start off slow
- Gradually build up the amount of time spent exercising.
- Set several short term goals that you can reach along with your long term goals.
- Keep track
- One of the best ways to stay motivated is to record your progress.
- Keeping track helps you see your progress and can act as a warning when you’re slacking off.
- Use a pedometer to track your steps. Check out our Pedometer video or download the Using a Pedometer PDF brochure to help you get started.
- Join the Walk Around Nevada program.
- Select a proper athletic shoe
- Reward yourself
- When you reach your goals don’t forget to give yourself a reward.
- Treat yourself to a massage, sleep in an extra hour, go shopping or buy new workout shoes.
- Check with your doctor, if necessary
- If you have a chronic health condition, such as arthritis, diabetes or heart disease, talk with your doctor to find out if your condition limits your ability to be active.
- Work with your doctor to come up with a physical activity plan that matches your abilities.
- If your condition stops you from meeting the minimum guidelines try to do as much as you can.